Monday, December 8, 2008

Monday Again

This morning I awoke earlier than usual and started praying as I usually do. 1st of all because it is a great quiet time to concentrate and 2nd of all because it can help me fall back asleep.
But this morning, I could not go back to sleep so I stayed up, read some scripture and really tried to zone in. The Holy Spirit does this sometimes, impressing on me the need for prayer (sometimes I don't even know why). My mind was spinning this morning over so many different areas needed for prayer and I was struck by how often I simply start asking God for stuff. Lots of the time, this stuff isn't even for me but still it feels like I always asking and never coming to him just because I want to spend some time in his presence. It is like hanging out with a 2 year old, all they ever come to you for is for "stuff", do this for them or do that for them. Many times it feels like "gimme, gimme, gimme" and I wonder if God ever feels like that with me. Yes, I know he is always here for me and hears my petitions but do I make him feel like I want him to be a genie granting wishes instead of the Holy One of Israel?
If that is the case Father God, I apologize right now and ask you to help me change. At this moment, I want to take the time to utter words of thanks and love just because you are the God of the universe! You are worthy. To borrow the words of a praise song, "let my words be few, Jesus I am so in love with you."
"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being."
~ Revelations 4:11
Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom.
~ Psalm 145:3

No comments: