Thursday, May 12, 2011

Ask, Seek, Knock

We studied a famous new testament passage today in bible study and I just had to share.

Matthew 7:7-8 NIV
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened."

How often have I read and even studied this passage? But today I saw a new angle and it really gave me some meat to chew on. All these are commands in the present tense so that means they are supposed to be done continuously!

1) ASK
Continually come before God by prayer and ask for His wisdom (to learn, know and act like Him) and discernment in my life. I am also to continue to bring all my petitions, cares and concerns to Him. As I do this, His wisdom transforms my life and brings my prayers in line with Him.

2) Seek
Continually seek God's presence and spending time in Him. This is where I get depth and personal experience with my God as His child! I learn who God is and how He operates in me and in the world.

3) Knock
Continually knock on the door and it will open. When a door opens, we are welcomed in and walk through it to spend time with the person inside. God opens the door to us so we can come in and be a part of His family. I am a member of the family in the eternal sense but especially here and now. God welcomes me inside but He also instructs me in how to be a member of His family.

All these commands build together to grow faith in my heart. By asking, seeking and knocking, I am choosing to operate in the way God directs me before I see the results or know the outcome!

Chew on that!

No comments: