Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas thought # 3

Christmas is Eternal:
God reminded me of this very poignant point this morning in a real life experience.
Last night we got home late and it was dark. My husband was carrying the boy inside and I had the diaper bag and many other items I was hauling in behind him. Somehow my favorite sweater for my son fell out of the diaper bag and in range of the dogs in the back yard. I was completely unaware.
This morning, I looked out and saw the sweater in tatters with the dogs joyously playing tug of war with it! I remembered being awoken in the night to their loud rough housing (obviously destroying the sweater) and thinking they were having fun. But this morning when I realized that they destroyed something I liked, I was tempted to be angry and resentful. It wasn't their faults, they simply thought they had discovered a new toy. I was the one who lost it even though I didn't think I was being irresponsible. Who could I blame?
So I took my frustration to God (I know it is just a sweater) and He reminded me of some important lessons to remember, especially this time of year.
1) Everything is temporary- even things you try to hold on to, be careful with and watch out for. So don't hold on too tight!
2) Only God remains- all else is destroyed- even unintentionally.
3) Just when you think you are in control- you are reminded that you have no control.
4) Only God is in control so trust yourself to Him and let go of your attempts to be in charge.
AND
5) My son won't miss his sweater so I just need to laugh and move on!

Isaiah 26:4 NIV
Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD himself, is the Rock eternal.

No comments: