Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Winter Weary

Today is cold and dreary. Gray skies, gray trees, gray houses, gray roads. Everything is dull and muted. I have to admit this is my least favorite time of year because I don't want to exercise (due to the cold), I want to stay indoors, and I don't like being cold. And I don't even have it bad here in Texas because our winter is relatively warm. I know I am whining a little bit so please excuse me, I am done now!
But it got me to thinking about the purpose of winter. The obvious reason is for creation to have a time of death, rest, conservation and preparation for the spring. It allows the plants and animals to renew themselves in the spring after they have died or hibernated over the winter. Cold and wet weather also allows the land to renew and the bugs to be cut down in number. All good things.
Winter is also a time of reflection for the soul. God opened my eyes to the analogy of how we all have winters in our lives like aging, our spiritual walks, death of loved ones or hard times. We can easily relate to that in America right now with the economic situation. I have personally experienced winters in work, relationships and my spiritual journey. All these times are difficult but not bad because they have helped me to deepen my character, look beyond myself, appreciate the little glimpses of sun radiating through the gray and know that God is my only source of support and provision. They are hard times but really good all the same. God is ever faithful to give me tastes of spring right around the corner and the new thing that he is faithful to do! I have a hope and a future that He has made!
So now I can look out my window at the steely sky and know that while winter seems to linger, hope of spring and God's new thing is right there waiting to break through the surface and burst forth into full bloom!
Genesis 8:22
While the earth remains, seed time and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease.
Psalm 52:9
I will thank you forever,because you have done it. I will wait for your name, for it is good,in the presence of the godly.

No comments: