Friday, October 1, 2010

Did John know Jesus???

I was in bible study this week and we were reviewing John the Baptist's ministry and how he came in to contact with Christ as the Messiah. I was amazed that when I slowed down and studied the verses carefully, I learned some new nuggets of truth. Here is the passage:

John 1:29-34
The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! This is the one I meant when I said, 'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.' I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel."

Then John gave this testimony: "I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. I would not have known him, except that the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.' I have seen and I testify that this is the Son of God.


1) John & Jesus were related but probably did not really know one another. John certainly didn't know Jesus was the Messiah until God revealed it to him.
2) When John was asked by Jesus to baptize him, John did, then God revealed Christ was the Messiah to John.
3) John was looking for a Messiah who would come in as King and political leader to restore Israel and remove the yoke of bondage to Rome just like the rest of the Jews. When Jesus came, he was not the Messiah that John expected.
4) John then went on to testify about Jesus to everyone because he knew that his role was to be that "voice in the desert crying out"

Amazing to realize that when you encounter the Messiah, even if you have been looking for him, he will not be as you expect but will change your world!
Come Thou Lord Jesus!!! Change my world!

No comments: