Friday, April 3, 2009

God's grace- teaching me gently

This week I had some hit you in the middle of your forehead, conviction moments from unexpected sources. You know how God sometimes uses ways and means you don't expect in order to reach you? Well, I had some of those.
In my exercise classes this week God used some of my students to speak truth and conviction to me without them knowing it. The first was something I said about a role model they were talking about that I don't particularly agree with. Instead of being winsome and loving in my words I said something harsher and they were amazed. "Esther never says anything harsh or mean towards anyone, surely I didn't hear her right" said one of them. OUCH!!!!! Can I say that God got my attention with that one. The fury of the tongue!
Then the second happened a few days later- God gave me a chance to try this again. We somehow got on the subject of politics and one of my students said something that I strongly disagreed with. But instead of jumping right in there, God caught my mind and I reined in the tongue and said something (hopefully) different and winsome to make all of us think. My student didn't feel poorly and everyone had a great rest of the class (I hope).
So the power of the tongue is another lesson God continues to help me learn. Little by little, step by step I pray I am becoming more like Him!!!!
Psalm 15
O LORD, who shall sojourn in your tent? Who shall dwell on your holy hill? He who walks blamelessly and does what is right and speaks truth in his heart; who does not slander with his tongue and does no evil to his neighbor, nor takes up a reproach against his friend; in whose eyes a vile person is despised, but who honors those who fear the LORD; who swears to his own hurt and does not change; who does not put out his money at interest and does not take a bribe against the innocent.He who does these things shall never be moved.

No comments: